The goals and purpose of the Bachelor of Science degree in Natural Horsemanship, a 4-year accredited university degree program, are to provide students with a well-rounded, high quality education in equine theory and science, combined with the practical skills of Natural Horsemanship. Horsemanship skills taught in the hands-on, real-world and practical classes are based upon the principles of equine behavior, instinct and personality, along with horse training methods of experts who are world-renowned in Natural Horsemanship and similar disciplines.
The University of Montana Western offers four degrees in Equine Studies:
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Natural Horsemanship
This four-year degree program gives students the opportunity to learn the skills of natural horsemanship and to pursue and obtain careers in the many equine-related fields as well as prepare those students who want to go on to advanced studies or pursue degrees and careers in veterinary medicine and other similar areas.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Business Administration, Equine Management Option
- This degree provides the information and background needed to start or manage an equestrian-related business.
Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Equine Studies
- This two-year degree is designed to provide students with a background for pursuing a career that draws on their passion for horses.
Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Natural Horsemanship
- This two-year degree program gives students the opportunity to learn some of the skills of natural horsemanship and obtain a career in many equine-related fields.
The U.S. equine industry is a 100 billion dollar a year industry that offers a wide range of equine-related professions. Some common careers that graduates are prepared for include:
▪ Natural Horsemanship-instructors
▪ Guest Ranch or Resort manager
▪ Equine Nutritional Consultant
▪ Horse-drawn Driver or Carriage Driver
▪ Barn Trainer or Manager
▪ Mounted Tour Guide
The program also provides students with an undergraduate education that prepares them for post-graduate studies in Veterinary Medicine, Law, and other fields.